Nursing Home populations are at high risk for infection and seri- ous illness including death from COVID-19. The only approved test for identification of those in the acute phase of infection is the reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (rt-PCR).
Key Highlights of Long–Term Care SARS–CoV2 Program
• Facility wide testing of all residents should be considered in facilities with suspected or confirmed cases of SARS-CoV2. Testing should be used to lead to specific infection prevention and control interventions (IPC)
• Separation of those with SARS-CoV-2 infection from those without detectable infection
• Testing of healthcare providers should be considered in facilities with suspected or confirmed cases of
• Identification of healthcare providers with SARS-CoV2 infection for work exclusion
Repeat Testing Considerations
- Retest any resident that develops symptoms consistent with SARS-CoV2
- Retest residents that frequently leave the facility for dialysis or other services that are known to ex- pose residents to those with possible infection
- Retest healthcare providers who develop symptoms consistent with SARS-CoV2
- Consider retesting healthcare providers at a predetermined frequency if community prevalence of infections is high.
Centers for Disease Control Guidelines Published April 30, 2020 https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/nursing-homes-